Reworking Paintings

I've been going through my inventory, culling the less successful paintings and  reworking them.
I was staring at this painting from the Edges series and while I felt "intellectually" it was done, it didn't grab me.  So, I dove in and started changing it up.

The original....

and the new and improved.  The colors in the original, while nice, made me feel like energy was being sucked out of the room.  The improved version made me feel calm, happy.  The name reflects that feeling.

"Love and Happiness" 2018
2 ft X 5 ft
oil, beeswax on canvas

The same was done with the next three paintings but I don't have a "before" image.
I looked at my lesser "Quiet" series paintings and made them vibrantly quieter.  No names yet but I am playing around with a few ideas.


"Blue Velvet"  2018
oil and beeswax on canvas



"Madame Pele"  2018
oil and beeswax on canvas



"Disco Lemonade"  2018
oil and beeswax on canvas
One of the main reasons I am reworking the paintings is because I plan on leaving my current studio space at Francisco Studios.  I don't want to store anything mediocre so I am going through the process of  brutally critiquing my work.  I am working without sentimentality but with a clear and removed sense of self.  It feels good to go through this.
The plan is to stay through Open Studios which is  October 27 and 28 and to take the month of November to move out.  I've accumulated a lot of work, supplies, materials over the 11 years I've been at this wonderful space.  I am hoping to work at home, in the garage but that will require a lot or reorganizing.  I am dreading that part!

Comments

Popular Posts