March for Our Lives San Francisco Posters


I've made posters for every march or rally I've participated in.  They have improved in their appearance as I figure out what works and how to make them efficiently.  Today, I thought I would share my process.  I wanted a strong, angry message and the idea of "blood on your hands" seemed appropriate.  I needed a pair of hands so I took an image of my hands.

I bought a poster board from the local dollar shop and based on that size, I needed to size my hands to fit prominently on the board.  I enlarged the image on Photoshop, printed them out and pasted them on the board.  That way, I wouldn't have to worry about size and proportions.  And then, I painted them and the rest of the poster.  I chose a green background because I thought the red would pop.  Yellow was used for two reasons - it shows well and it signifies cowardice.


A friend wanted to join me at the rally, so I made a poster for her.  The words are based on the powerful speech by Emma Gonzales, one of the Parkland high school student survivors of the Feb 14, 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

I gessoed the cardboard and then painted it red.  I didn't like it so I painted black over it.  I saw a bit of the red peeking through and started writing on the wet black paint.  I wrote "we call BS" over and over and after that dried, I painted the quote in large red/orange colors.  I wish I had more time to think about writing more meaningful text like some of the NRA's arguments but maybe I wil lcreate this in Photoshop.
March for Our Lives rally


March for Our Lives rally in front of city hall, San Francisco

before the march
And because we had to leave before the march, we decided to stroll down Market street to get to BART.  We didn't realize that the road was already closed off so we enjoyed walking down the middle of the usually congested road.

Comments

Popular Posts