Side Tracked by Chronic Illness Part One

I was in two minds in presenting the next topic because I wanted this blog to be about art only.  However, recent events have affected art making.   I have learned much about my experience and it is my hope that the information might help someone or at least let sufferers know they are not alone.

In a nutshell - I've been sick with a chronic disorder.  It has been given a variety of names.
1.  Rheumatoid arthritis
2.  Polymyalgia rheumatica
3.  Fibromyalgia
4.  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

The acute phase began November 21, 2016.  I woke up with severe pain on the bottom left side of my abdomen.  I went to see my internal medicine doctor  (IMD) and he told me to go the emergency room immediately.  So I went and had blood tests and a CT scan.  Diagnosis = diverticulitis.  I was given antibiotics and sent home.  The pain subsided quickly and I got better.  It was the week of Thanksgiving and I was able to cook our annual family dinner without too much difficulty.

Two weeks later, on December 5, 2016, I started having a difficult time breathing.  I couldn't take in adequate amounts of air without my chest hurting.  So, again, I went to see my IMD  and he told me to go to the emergency room immediately.  So I did, had blood tests, EKG, and slightly different CT scan.  Diagnosis = pleurisy.  I was given strong anti-inflammatory drugs (ketorolac and only 8 pills) and sent home. I asked the ER doctors if there might any connections between the diverticulitis and pleurisy and they responded that they didn't know.  I got better and within a week, I was back to taking dance classes.

About one month later, (January 4, 2017), I went to see my dermatologist and I mentioned that I had been to the ER with the diagnosis of pleurisy and was on this wonderful anti-inflammatory drug.  The drug not only made my skin look amazing, it got rid of the pain in my joints that i didn't realize i had until they went away.  "Ha ha ha" was my attitude.  My dermatologist became rather serious and suggested that I be tested for rheumatoid arthritis.  In other words, I didn't know I had a problem until it went away.  That news did not make me happy. I knew rheumatoid arthritis was an auto immune disease whereby the body attacks itself.  I made an appointment with my IMD  and got books from the library in addition to doing searches on the Internet.  I wanted to make sure I was prepared with questions and to know what tests I needed.

Results and his diagnosis =  general inflammation but not rheumatoid arthritis. After one week of being gluten-free, my body felt better. I re-introduced dairy and corn and did not suffer from these foods)    I felt good enough to fly to Washington DC to attend the  Women's March on Washington.

Sometime in February,  I began suffering from fatigue, depression and brain fog.  Even though I slept 8 hours most nights, I never felt rested.  I felt like I would never be cheerful again.  Doing the simplest things felt insurmountable.  And, I still had pain throughout my body.  I started getting migraines which I used to get in my 30s but thanks to acupuncture, stopped getting them.   I still went to the studio but I wasn't very productive.  I did painting exercises just to "keep in shape" but I didn't know where I was going.  I don't like being in that state of floundering.

At this point, my 4-5 dance classes a week became 1-2 dance classes a week.  I felt tired and weak.

On a overnight spa getaway with a friend (February 22) , I began having pain in my mouth.  It turned out to be an infection and my face swelled up and it was painful.  I went to see an endodontist and after clean up and a root canal, I was pain-free.  I mention this because I have to believe, there is some connection to all the other symptoms.  Just like there has to be a connection between the diverticulitis and pleurisy.

My IMD and I decided on staying gluten-free and to have my blood re-tested in 2 months.

Some additional background problems:  I have had occasional flare-ups of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).   I have what I call "fever spikes" where I feel like i am coming down with the flu but it lasts only one day.  It is debilitating enough where i am confined to bedrest and take ibuprofen.  I have suffered from a systemic yeast infection due to overuse of antibiotics.  And that was related to my "leaky gut" which diet modifications, probiotics and a series of colonics helped immensely.  Both the leaky gut and yeast infection have been taken care of.

Next, alternative treatments.

Comments

Unknown said…
You are beautiful and mighty!
Matt said…
Thanks for sharing this deeply personal news. Keep fighting!
lucy junus said…
You are so kind & brave to share your story with us.
Love you for it.
Leslie Crawford said…
Thank you for sharing this. As your neighbor and a friend, I am happy to help in any way I can. Certainly, I'll keep bringing you egg!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing and continue researching -- the body is connected and I agree with you that these symptoms must be linked.

I've had a hamstring tear in my left leg since Feb 2017 that was as a result of an injured SI joint
on the right side and my body being unbalanced for a long time. Who knew??
meekinthewest said…
We'll get you better mama. Hang in there. So much love to you!

Popular Posts