POSSIBLE SCAM ALERT



I received this email and it looks suspicious:

from; josephmathew499@yahoo.com
Hello,
I'm Joseph Mathew, I live in Ontario Canada, and travel frequently for work.
I'm looking to do a portrait of the picture attached.
Oil, watercolor or acrylic painting on canvas is what I am after.
Please let me know if you are into portraits, and how much it would cost?
Size :80 x 68 cm
Regards,
Joseph.

He also attached a photograph of an older couple.
What makes this look suspicious?  
1.)   the email address - a name with numbers and usually a yahoo address
2.)   the person always lives in a foreign country.
3.)   If the person had to ask me if I am into portraits then he/she probably hasn't visited my website.

My response:
Hello Mr. Mathew,
If you go to my website, khkodama.com you will notice I do portraits.  If you look at the work and like the style, let's proceed.
for 80 cm X 68 cm portrait based on the photo will cost $5,000.
Thank you for your interest.
Katherine

His response:
Hello, thanks for your reply,i need to tell you this, my budget for the painting is $1800.
If there is need to reduce the size of the painting it will be good.Kindly reply back to 
know the next thing to do.
Best, 
Joseph.

other warning signs: 
4.)   funny punctuation
5.)   oddly formal as in using the word "kindly" - I am guessing English is a second language.

My latest response:
18 inches X 24 inches would be $1800.  If you wish to proceed, please send a high resolution image.
Payment can be made to my PayPal account or via Chase Quick Pay using my email address.  No money orders or personal checks, thank you.

Of course, I will feel bad if this is legit but my spidey sense tells me this is a scam.  


Comments

Popular Posts