Pierre Bonnard and Raphael at the Legion of Honor

I have to admit, that when I heard the DeYoung Museum would be showing the work of Pierre Bonnard, I wasn't too excited.  I generally find paintings that have every color in the spectrum difficult to look at and some of his work has that quality.  After a painting colleague raved about the show and insisted I go see it, I decided to check it out.  I wasn't disappointed and I was inspired.

Pierre Bonnard: Painting Arcadia  located at the Legion of Honor, was a wonderful show.  Here are a few paintings that excited me:

"Self-portrait of the Artist"  1930
watercolor, gouache, pencil
 I like the obscured face, and the freshness of the pencil work.



"The Brothers Bernheim-Jeune"  1920
oil on canvas
 Yes, yellowish orange and purple are soooo complementary, but a splash of pink and the lovely darks make this a very enjoyable piece.



"Pink Nude, Head in Shadow"  1919
oil on canvas
 I love the softness and pastel quality.


"The Dressing Room"  1914-1921
oil on canvas
 I love seeing this figure with all the clear strokes of paint.



"Bathtub"  1930
 I love the treatment of the water (bluish gray) with the pale whitish yellow figure.



"Nude in an Interior"  1912-1914
oil on canvas
 And while this painting has almost every color of the rainbow, I love the shapes that defined the space.  It had a Diebenkorn Ocean Parkesque quality



"Table Corner"  1935
oil on canvas
 Sadly, the colors aren't quite right - the "red" had  more orange in it.



"Women in the Garden"  series
1890-1891
distemper on paper mounted on canvas
 I love the Japanese wood block feel these pieces have.  And love the patterns.



"Reading the Newspaper"  1912
oil on canvas
 So quiet, lovely and what sumptuous colors.


"The Demanding Cat" 1912
oil on canvas
How could i resist a demanding cat piece?


And only until April 11th, viewing of Raphael's painting, "Portrait of a Lady with a Unicorn". Beautiful, masterful - how often do we  see paintings of this calibre in San Francisco?  Located in it's own viewing room, there is interesting text that accompanies this exhibit.

"Portrait of a Lady with a Unicorn"

Comments

Popular Posts