Annie Leibovitz WOMEN: New Portraits


I scored a ticket to the Annie Leibovitz exhibition "Women: New Portraits" from the photographer in my artists' group. 

My impression of the exhibition can be summarized in one word...weird.  

Of course, I love her portraits of celebrities, politicians, humanitarians and in this exhibition,  all were women.  
Weird because the exhibition was housed in a very large room, yet the work was displayed on a single short wall with the images stacked.  This made it very slow and awkward as the people in the line took their time looking at the photos.  Why didn't they have 3 or 4 walls to give us more space and therefore more time to enjoy the work?  It felt unnecessarily claustrophobic.  It seemed unprofessional.


There were 2 large screens showing more of her work which again, seemed weird because the screens seemed to be competing with each other.  It certainly felt like not much thought was put into this.  But how can that be?  It is the work of Annie Leibovitz for heaven sakes!



 You can see that the exhibition was housed in a large space.    It could've had 3 walls, two screens in separate areas with chairs and an obvious and pleasing flow.  My favorite part was in this sunlit room off of the main exhibition area that had her art books. I spent most of my time looking at the books and enjoying her photographic essays.

I was glad that I had my timed ticket after seeing this line when I left.  Those who didn't get a ticket (they were "sold out" very quickly - admission was free but they wanted you to get a ticket) could get in but had to wait.



UBS, the sponsor of the exhibition didn't seem to spend money on the presentation of the work but they brought in the nicest port-a-potties I've ever used.  Also, the staff in the parking lot were very helpful and cheerful.
The show ends April 17th but there is no reason to see it in person.  Go to the public library and look at her work.  The show's next stop is Singapore.

Comments

Popular Posts