Reworking Rhododendron

I displayed "Rhododendron" (below) during open studios and I had a chance to really look at it over those two days.  I thought it was an "ok" painting but after looking at it for an additional two weeks, I decided I needed to make changes.  

Originally, the painting was based on the colors of a rhododendron bush outside my hotel room in Mendocino.  I know the colors of the greens are washed out but those were present on the bush.  However, I asked the questions "is an accurate portrayal of the colors of the plant going to make a good painting?"

My answer was "not necessarily and in this case, it wasn't very interesting".  So, I began to go through my process of finding the colors that I considered to be pink's best friends.  

Camellia 2014

I started converting some of the colors to yellows.  



And the yellow brought me to more grays. And already, I am happier with the painting.


And then, I think I let the grays become too dominant so I will probably push  back the grayness.

 

Next, softening the grays with white and then re-evaluate.

Comments

Popular Posts