NYC Metropolitan Museum of Art


With only three full days in NYC, I had to prioritize my time.  I had a list of 10 museums/galleries I wanted to visit and besides the Center for Italian Modern Art, I wanted to visit the Met.  The day I visited was Museums On Us Day and therefore free if you had the appropriate credit card.  As I made my way to the modern art area, I heard piano music in the distance.  I moved toward this beautiful sound and then heard the most heavenly voice to come from a gallery.  A woman was singing in the gallery and singing to a person seated in the distance.  Everytime I hear an aria especially by a soprano,  I find myself tearing up from the beauty of the sound.  She ended her performance, hugged the person who was seated and I went on my way to look at the art.
opera singer 


Jean Dubuffet
Apartment Houses, Paris  1946

I always enjoy the wonderful scribbles of Dubuffet.

I should have asked the viewer to reach her arms up like in the figure.+
Paul Klee
May Picture 1925
This is a surprise Klee for me.
Maurice de Vlaminck
The Seine at Chatou 1906
I don't often see a painting from the Fauve Movement.  Quite wild and bright.

And always a pleasure to see a Joan Mitchell painting...
Joan Mitchell
Sunflowers 1969
From there I raced  to see Kongo: Power and Majesty and I was blown away by the power of the figures.  The work was displayed in a darkened room which was skillfully lit.  This highlighted the objects giving them a great sense of power.  The textiles were amazing and all were in beautiful condition considering their age and material.

And then I heard once again, the sound of the piano.  I quickly made my way back to the gallery and this time, there was a different singer and different person seated.


After the song, I noticed that the singer went to random people and asked if they would like to be sung to.  I love the idea but would not want to be the one being sung to...me being an introvert and all.

Comments

Popular Posts