NYC: Back to the Met

 After our trip to the Met, we sat down to a wonderful dinner and talked about our day.

We had flank steak stuffed with feta and spinach, roasted yams and onions and a fresh green salad.  During our dinner conversation, one of my friends mentioned that she saw an amazing painting.  It was really large and she thought it was "Washington Crossing the Delaware".  And of course, I almost jumped out of my chair because I had forgotten that the painting I had based my library commission on was at the Met!  How could I have forgotten?  And if I left NYC without seeing it I would have been devastated and angry at my forgetfulness!

Washington Crossing the Delaware 1851
by Emanuel Leutze
So, the next day, the day we were to catch our plane home, I spent a couple more hours at the Met before our flight.  I finally saw the painting and it was grander than I imagined.  Did I get the movement of the trees right?

Washington Crossing the Delaware Trees 2011
Katherine Hisako Kodama
Excelsior Public Library
San Francisco, CA.

The first thing I noticed was the background as a little too contrasty.  Also, there was  more light in the background.  I am not sure why I didn't catch that from my images.
I wanted to capture some of the details of the painting...but it was difficult to do from where I stood.










I like this old image of the painting being displayed at the Metropolitan Sanitary Fair, 1864.




I spent my time looking at the painting from many angles,sitting and gazing on a bench and watching viewers' reactions.  I spent as much time as I could in order to make my way towards the entrance which included looking at a few paintings on the way out.  Here are some of my favorites.


The Last Moments of John Brown
Thomas Hovenden


A Bit of War History: The Contraband; The Recruit; The Veteran 1865-66
Thomas Waterman Wood


The Writing Master
Thomas Eakins


Dawn-Early Spring 1894
Dwight William Tryon


Flight into Egypt 1923
Henry Ossawa Tanner
I love Tanner's work - always a pleasure to see.


Young Mother Sewing 1909
Mary Cassatt
And always a pleasure to see Cassatt's work - women in domestic scenes.


Mother and Child (Baby Getting Up from His Nap)
Mary Cassatt


Fleur de Lis
Robert Reid

I was not familiar with Reid's work and while I was not a fan of how the woman is depicted, I loved the treatment of the irises - like a color field.


The Gulf Stream 1899
Winslow Homer

I remember a story a teacher once told me about seeing this painting as a child and being absolutely terrified he was of it.  It truly is terrifying.


The Factory Village 1897
J. Alden Weir
I was also not aware of Weir's work.  I love how he painted the trees.

Arques-la-Bataille  1885
John H. Twachtman
Twachtman was also a new painter to me - this was a sublime painting.

Winter, Monhegan Island 1907
Rockwell Kent

I love the color contrasts - you almost needed sunglasses to look at this painting.
I enjoyed my easy meandering through the Met and continued my way towards the exit when...





 I stumbled into the Vermeer room!   Dammit, I could've used an hour in here!  I took in as much as I could and snapped away on my phone.


Allegory of the Catholic Faith 1672
Johannes Vermeer


Woman with a Lute 1663
Johannes Vermeer


Study of a Young Woman 1667
Johannes Vermeer


Young Woman with a Water Pitcher 1662
Johannes Vermeer
And then, I walked into the Rembrandt room!  Arrrrgh!!!!  It was torture to have just the cursory look at the paintings.  Torture!

Hendrickje Stoffels 1626
Rembrandt van Rijn


Flora  1654
Rembrandt van Rijn
I've seen "Flora" before - it was wonderful to see it again.
I mustn't complain...I got a cheap flight on Virgin America SFO to JFK for $300.  I had free accommodations.  I was traveling with 3 easy going friends and I got to see some amazing shows.  I shouldn't complain but I will because I am greedy!



Comments

Popular Posts