NYC and the 9/11 Memorial

I spent a long weekend in New York City and in addition to madly dashing around to see as many art shows as I and my companions could fit in, we visited the 9/11 Memorial.  I hadn't read too much about it so I was surprised by what I saw.

One of Two Pools
 I have never felt such an overwhelming sadness from a memorial as I did when I saw the water falling into the abyss.  I gasped.  I felt the loss.  I wanted to scream and howl my tears.  I didn't of course.  I walked around and kept wiping the tears away quietly.  I didn't want to bring attention to myself and I wanted to see how others interacted to the memorial.




 I thought about what survivors New Yorkers are.  It profoundly affected each of them. And I have even more respect for them for their attitude and fortitude.

World Trade Center
Every few minutes, an airplane would fly and it's reflection would be on the WTC.  I am sure it was intentional but at the same time, it was disturbing.
Most memorials have a quiet and serene feel to them.  This one was very different.  I felt my heart break again and grieve for the all those affected.  Perhaps I responded this way because it was my first trip there and that subsequent visits wouldn't have that affect.  Nevertheless, the 9/11 Memorial had quite an impact on me.  I am really glad I went to see it.

Comments

Popular Posts