The Pretend Curator - Organic Shapes

I spent an afternoon as gallery representative for the ArtSpan Artists' Exhibition at SOMArts last Thursday.  I love doing this because it gives me time to really look at the work without the crowds, noise, and crazy energy of ArtLaunch.  Only 7 people came by while I was volunteering  over the 4 1/2 hours I was there which gave me an opportunity to play "Curator for a Day".  Instead of focussing on the work I respond to, I pretended to be a curator with a client who had an empty white wall.  I was pretend charged with filling the wall with interesting pieces with a theme.  Of course, looking at the over 400 pieces, there were some obvious themes such as figures, portraits, landscapes which would make any wall sing with interest and beauty.  I decided to take another approach and offer three different themes to my pretend client.  Today I present the first theme: organic round shapes.

Imagine a pristine white wall with these gems on it.  Apologies for not capturing a great image but all the more reason to visit SOMArts to see the work in person.

"H"  by Eddie Lee
Relief Print 2015

"We Crossed Paths" by Elisabeth Nicula
painting 2014

"Rave" by
Donna Sharee
monotype 2015

"Blue Mystery #1" by Michele De Sha
ceramaics 2014

"Strata Series #4" by Carrie Ann Plank
letterpress, relief, & chine colle on panel  2015

"Untitled I) by Jeffrey Nemeroff
mixed media on paper 2014

"Circle of Sight" by Sasha Merritt
copper wire  2015

"Unidentified Flying Object" by Hilary Maslon
oil on canvas 2011

"Linked" by Rebecca Fox
welded steel, patina, lacquer  2914

"Stack 2" by David Silva  Rose
acrylic on panel 2015

"Meet the Flintstones" by Kimberly Rowe
acrylic on canvas  2014


Next time, a color theme...

Comments

Popular Posts