Potala Palace and Last Full Day in Lhasa

near Jokhang Temple
We finally made it to Potala Palace but not after some drama.  Before arriving in Tibet, I researched  what one wears to the monasteries.  It seemed that the consensus was that a long skirt with a modest top was the most appropriate attire.  So, that was what I wore for all my monastery visits.  In fact, I wore it the first time I visited Potala Palace when we showed up at the wrong time and was able to enter the first gate.  But for some strange reason, this time the ticket taker took one look at me and said I couldn't go in.  There was some discussion between my guide and the guard.  My poor guide looked totally frustrated.  He said it was because I didn't have something underneath my skirt!!!  He ran off  and came back with these very funny polyester pants which I then slipped on and was able to enter.  How random that was - I entered the first gate without hassle the last time we were there.  
view from Potala Palace
After all that, it was an absolutely enchanting visit.  It was quite a climb, reaching a height of 12,100 feet.  I had acclimated by then and climbing up wasn't a problem.  In fact, for the last 5 days, I stopped gasping for breath during sleep.
Potala palace
So much to see, so much history.  The 14th Dalai Lama lived here before escaping from the Chinese. It is a very popular destination and I am glad that there is a designated time for pilgrims to enter, different from the tourist time.  I took few images but there are plenty on the Internet.
view from exiting Potala Palace

After a pleasant climb down, we entered a quiet park and our guide took us to a place for tea.  We passed by  a shaded area where people were doing the traditional Tibetan dance.  Again, a great place to relax and people watch.


tea house

And then it was back to the old part of town where we walked the Jokhang Temple route to get to a noodle place.


pilgrim prostrating


All food comes with chili sauce or powder, including the potatoes.

Chinese tourist taking a selfie with Tibetan women in the background.

Vendors selling incense which I think is made of cedar.



the vibrant streets of Lhasa
And our last full day in Lhasa, I found a wonderful cafe just a few hundred feet from our hotel that was quiet, served delicious coffee and juices and had wifi.  I indulged and had a watermelon juice and it was fantastic.

ceiling of the cafe


view from our table
A walk to get to Lhasa Kitchen, a restaurant our guide recommended revealed a section of town that seemed to specialize in dental work.   I am guessing this is a sign advertising their services.

colorful flags


pedicab station

Lhasa Kitchen is on Barkhor Square and our dinner was delicious.

dinner

Also located on Barkhor Square is the Chinese fast food chain, dico's.  We didn't bother going there.

Barkour Square and Jokhang Temple
Our last circumambulation of the trip.  It was a lovely activity to do after dinner.  I will miss the walk and seeing the people.




And of course, I must end the post with another dog image - this one was unusual and very cute.

Comments

Popular Posts