Mt Emei, Golden Summit and crowds

Day 4 - We left the Teddy Bear Hotel for the bus station for our trip up Mt. Emei.  Our ride to the bus station was halted (again, so many people and cars) so we got out of our van to walk to the bus station.  
bus station to Mt. Emei
There was some confusion but fortunately we had our bad-ass tour guide who finessed her way to a comfortable bus.  I need to mention that at every step (checking in the hotel, transportation) we had to show our passports.  We reached the trailhead and again, it was teeming with people.  Along the path, there were many places to buy souvenirs and food and to hire the services of porters who would carry you up the mountain.  The walk up to the Golden Summit was a popular activity.  We were warned not to feed the very aggressive monkeys but none were present.


a porter


We made our way to the cable car area and found an impossibly long line.  After what seemed like an interminable amount of time, we crammed into the cable car.
And then we reached the summit (over 10,000 ft) as did thousands of others.

 After spending some time at the summit, we walked back down to catch the cable car, always surrounded by throngs of people.  And then, those lines for the cable car.....
packed in on the cable car
After the cable car, we endured the craziest bus ride down  - I wish I took a video of it but if I did, it would most likely cause the viewer a case of motion sickness.
If someone asked me if I wanted to see something rather magnificent but that I would be surrounded by crowds at every moment, would I want to go?  That answer would be a definitive "no".  It is my introverted nature that prevents me from enjoying or even tolerating large crowds.  Mt Emei and the Golden Summit are probably considered a "must-see" tourist destination but if you are like me, you won't find that the sites are worth the hassle and the crowds.
Fuhu Nunnery on the other hand....2 thumbs up!

Comments

Popular Posts