The view on our way to Ganden Monastery to drop off the trekkers. The plan was for them to begin their 5 day trek from this monastery, ending at a nunnery. But first, a visit to Ganden Monastery...
Ganden Monastery was the largest monastery we have seen and it was quite impressive. It stands at 12,467 feet above sea level and is considered to be one of the three great temples, the others being Sera Monastery and Drepung Monastery.
 |
| Ganden Monastery |
Again, no photos allowed inside but this off the Internet of the yak butter candles. The smell of that and of the incense became intoxicating. I brought some incense home and I often take a whiff to be transported back to the monastery experience. Didn't bring home any yak butter candles though.
 |
| yak butter candles |
Monastery dogs were everywhere. There is a breed called a tibetan mastiff and of course, there is the famous Lhasa apso. Could these free range dogs be a mix of the two?
 |
| monastery cat |
 |
| Lhasa Apso |
 |
| Tibetan Mastiff |
We said goodbye to the trekkers (they were trekking to over 17,000 feet and I didn't think I would enjoy that) and our Tibetan guide and driver took us back to Lhasa. We were dropped off at the hotel and went off on our own to do a little shopping. We went to
Dropenling which means "giving back for the betterment of sentient beings". Dropenling specializes in Tibetan handicrafts made by Tibetans in Tibet. About their worthy mission can be read
here.
 |
| mask maker |
I purchased two masks, called protectors. The sales person suggested I bring the masks to the Potala Palace to have the monks bless them. Wow, so I did.
They now guard the front door.
I also purchased a carpet ...
 |
| Wangden Carpet |
Originally woven for monasteries, Wangden carpets have a thick pile and geometric motifs.
Finally, I purchased pillow covers based on the fabric that is used in traditional women's clothing. The Tibetan apron is worn by married women.
 |
| unstuffed pillow case |
After shopping, we went searching for the Lhasa Tsamkhung Nunnery. The streets of Old town Lhasa can be confusing but we found the Nunnery which is famous for their tea. Of course we had to try the yak butter tea.
 |
| yak butter tea |
It was very rich and filling. It was great to sit in the tea house, watching the locals enjoying the company of others, sipping their tea. The nunnery offered two kinds of tea, the sweet milk tea and the yak butter tea. The nunnery also offered food but when we arrived, they had sold out of the noodles. It had a vibrant atmosphere, with constant stream of customers and people visiting the nunnery to pray and spin the prayer wheels.
Comments