TorC, New Mexico : About the Residency

A little about the residency...Starry Night Retreat is located in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. The unusual name came about when the host of a popular NBC radio program, Truth or Consequences announced that he would air the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show.  The original name, Hot Springs was changed in 1950 which is a shame since the town is known for it's natural hot springs.  Walking around town, you notice immediately the number of motel/efficiencies everywhere, many in rather poor condition.  In fact, some look like condemned buildings except that people were occupying them.
Starry Night appears to have been one of these properties but has maintained a fresh look.  There are 3 apartments ( I was in "A"), a shared well lit studio space, and an outdoor common area.  I was quite comfortable.


View from my table with Turtleback Mountain in the background




festive lights

my work space



 My objective going into this residency was to keep an open mind.  What I didn't want to do was to  paint my color fields.  I might be inspired by colors but I would take notes, do sketches and continue looking.  I brought a few supplies with no real plan.  If I decided to drive around New Mexico without creating anything, then so be it.  Would the colors, the expanse of land inspire me to return to the studio?
It really is a gift of time to think, play but most importantly, to remove oneself from the daily distractions and to focus on being an artist.
I became interested and focused on a subject that I've been thinking about for a while but didn't know how to manifest it in an art piece.  Now, I had a plan.  I love having a plan.

Comments

Popular Posts