Feeling Feisty

It might have been the cup of coffee I had this morning, but I am feeling feisty.  Since Open Studios ended, I've been wondering what I need to do next.  "Need" of course is a self imposed condition but I do need to work.  I am happiest when I am thinking about a problem and thinking about how to go about achieving a result.  I adore process.
I've been thinking about a different color palette for the Iceland series but that's really a minor little project.  And then, I got an email newsletter from re-title.com announcing a show titled "100 Painters of Tomorrow"  and my immediate reaction was "OH COME ON!!!".  This sense of frustration I felt was because these "painters of tomorrow" are doing what I saw in art school in 2003.   There is nothing wrong with the paintings but to call them "painters of tomorrow" is in my opinion, ridiculous.  However, it got me to think about my own contribution to painting.  Paintings with graphic images are extremely popular and is the opposite of what I do.  And then, I thought, why don't I try this and see how difficult it is.  It isn't merely throwing a few images on canvas and geometric shapes, add a few squiggly lines and voila! .......or is it?

"Making Noise" by Dan Braut
acrylic and oil on canvas
 And then, there is this piece, derivative of Gerhart Richter.
"Crest 1" by Tomory Dodge
oil on canvas
I see these two paintings as jumping off points for me as a painter.  And, to be clear, I like these paintings but I disagree with the notion that they represent the future.   I get riled up because it sounds like a marketing gimmick to get collectors excited about a piece of art that will increase in value.

Comments

Popular Posts