My Inner Impressionist

oil and beeswax on canvas
24 in X 30 in
After seeing "Intimate Impressionisms" at the Legion of Honor last Thursday (the show closed yesterday), I translated my scribbles in my notebook into a legible 4 pages of notes regarding the show.  While many might find the work tiresome, corny, or old, I loved looking at how the paint was applied, what colors were used, and how the colors interacted with each other.  I did my usual analysis of the colors, especially of the ones with the most pleasing combinations.  I wanted to try using those colors to make my own impressions.  For my first attempt, I chose the colors of Monet's "Water Lilies" which is part of the permanent collection. It gave me much pleasure to work this way.  I made a palette of these beautiful colors and used my palette knife to blend and apply these luscious colors. The paint went on smoothly with my new beeswax recipe (1 part beeswax, 3 parts gamsol, 2 parts linseed oil).

Comments

Unknown said…
LOVEly, you captured a gossamer, delicate and yet substantial essence of water. I know that reads like a contradiction but I've loved the French Impressionists since the early 80s and I think too, the genre had that sensibility to it. I'm admiring what you've captured.

Popular Posts