Insipid or Not?

Experimenting with "pleasing" colors. 
Do you feel:
pleased?
happy?
at one with nature?
I don't normally paint randomly which is how i started these.  I like having a plan and pretty much sticking to it.  I mixed up 4 different colors in one of my favorite combinations, added my special beeswax medium and started adding the paint to the canvas using a palette knife.  The top painting was a struggle because it had looked like it belonged in a twee gift shop, the one with  scented candles and knick knacks.  I think I've made some improvements but I won't know until I look at it for a while.  There is a fine line between a pleasing painting and one that is insipid.  


I like the atmospheric quality of both paintings.  I like the colors used.  
Atmospheric colors of nature - does it make a bland painting?
Perhaps, the color combination is expected and that's why I have my doubts.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I actually liked the top one best. It was more abstract, and I think it would make me feel peaceful if I lived with it. The bottom one I liked a bit less because it looked like clouds in the sky.

Popular Posts