Collage

My submission for Excelsior Festival 2014.  I am not a graphic artist or an illustrator which requires a different set of skills from painting but I wanted to stretch myself and try something new.  It was a lot of trial and error - I had sketches that were way too busy.  I wanted to incorporate a bunch of themes to highlight "greening the Excelsior".  I had a silhouette of a pine tree with old people walking, kids running with dogs, a pregnant woman, a kid reading, families with balloons - it was ridiculous!  The simpler I got, the more I liked it till I got to this final design of flowers.  Then the execution became an issue.  If I was a whiz at Photoshop, I imagine this would've been easy.  Instead, I went old skool and collaged my way through the final piece  you see below.  I 'll find out if my design was chosen later this month.
I had a great time - now I think I want to do some more collage exploration.

Comments

Popular Posts