Radiant Orchid

I was thinking about radiant orchid , the Pantone Color of the Year, and asked the question, could I create a painting based on this color?  I generally shy away from pastels and pinks because I don't like them, however, my feelings changed after finishing the painting.


I didn't have the official plastic chip from which to work - only an image on my phone.





I decided to approach this using colors that harmonize with radiant orchid in the style of my "Edges" series.

After finishing the painting, it hung in the studio for about a week, allowing me to ponder the colors and their combinations.  I was surprised how much I liked this painting.  I found myself wanting to look at it even though I needed to work on another project.  The big test was to bring it home and see how it felt in a living situation.

"Radiant Orchid" 2014
oil and beeswax on canvas
18" X 18"



Each time I looked at it, I had this startled  reaction -  I would take a breath as if I were surprised.  And I suppose I was since as I mentioned,  I generally don't like pastels or pinks.  My mind has been broadened!


Comments

Aj said…
very harmonious love it!

Popular Posts