Pro Infirmis - Because who is Perfect?



Pro Infirmis is a supportive organization for the disabled, aimed to showcase the beauty in all people for International Day of Persons with Disabilities.  A Zurich shop replaced the typical mannequins with ones which represented four unique individuals with disabilities, all modeled from their measurements.

This YouTube video struck a chord with me because I love the natural human body and face but the media bombards us with their definition of beauty.  The predominant "preferred" look is an thinness that is not sustainable, a youthfulness that looks frozen, features that are exaggerated to the point of freakishness.  My favorite models to draw have more meat to their bodies than what seems to be culturally acceptable.  In fact, the meatier, the better!  And, I love hugging that body type!  I love to watch BBC programs because they seem to use actors who haven't had any plastic surgery - they look like authentic people.  My favorite part of sewing class is fitting people with "issues" such as the hunchback, the drooped shoulder, and the prominent behind.  We are all many shapes and I love the uniqueness of the human form.  

From Merriam Webster - beauty is  “the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit.” 

Comments

Popular Posts