Commission an Artist to do a Portrait

In the Holiday Guide in the New York Times Style Magazine, there was a section about commissioning an artist to do a portrait.  Three artists are mentioned with a starting price of $5,000.
First, Mickalene Thomas will photograph you in her studio, compose a collage with her signature colorful patterns and then create the final composition on canvas.  From $100,000 if you are lucky enough to be accepted.



Daniel Heidkamp has a looseness to his portraits.  The work looks fresh, like he did them in a couple of hours.

His work reminds me a little bit of Alex Katz, Matisse, and Hockney.  From $5,000- painting from life in 1-2 four hour sessions.

And finally, photographer Adam Fuss will do your portrait for $30,000.  I first saw his work in New York City and was mesmerized by the quality of the print.  His photo of a vase looked like an exquisite painting.
Fuss doesn't have a website (that I could find) but I did find this 2  minute video where he talks about his work.



While I was looking up information of these 3 artists, only one, Mickalene  Thomas had a proper website.  Daniel Heidkamp had a minimally done, amateurish website and as mentioned, Adam Fuss doesn't have one.  So, you can be a famous artist without a website but it never hurts to have one.

And in the spirit of shameless promotion,  let it be known that I do portraits as well and much more affordably priced.


$500 for a 4 in X 6 in
and they look great framed.
I photograph  you in my studio or you can send me some images.  

Comments

Popular Posts