Open Studios 2013 - best ever!

It was the best ever Open Studios for a variety of reasons.  1.) I  sold the most paintings than all the previous years by far.  I now have the funds to pay for my rent through part of 2014.  2.)  I got the much needed feedback regarding my new Iceland series. With any new body of work, I always bring pieces home to live with and see how they work in a home environment.   I didn't have time to do this with this series.  So, I was pleasantly surprised that people were interested in these.  I am sure that part of the reason is because of their smaller size...much better for apartments and limited wall space  3.)  I saw many old friends who surprised me with a visit  though I find it a little annoying when a high school friend didn't age!  And, she hasn't had any "work" done either. (you know who you are S.W.)    4.) A subcategory of #3 is that I was happy to see my friends from my biotechnology days. We speak the same language, have shared experiences and I have a certain comfort level with them.  And for some strange reason, they have been super supportive of my work.  5.)  Two people were interested in my large pieces and/or a commission.  I hope these will pan out.








What worked:  the Iceland series and the Edges series had the most attention and most sales.  I included 3 new "Trees Posing" paintings because I thought there might be some interest after the Excelsior Library commission.  Always a popular subject, I sold one of the "Last Supper Trees".  I bought quality  food instead of going to Costco to get quantity.  I bought hummus from Canyon Market and Whole Foods with the Canyon Market one being my favorite out of the two.  I didn't think cut celery would be popular but it was consumed with gusto.  I had good wine and sparkling water which also were heartily consumed.  I bought flattened pretzels which also were popular.  And everybody loved the grapes.
What didn't work as well:  my Equality paintings didn't do well.  In fact, I only sold one of these beautiful gem of a postcard painting.  I however, gave buyers a choice of gifts: either an Equality painting or one of my Kamaboko trees.  Both gifts were received positively.

I wasn't the only artist that did well - it seemed like all of us (total of 5) did well.  Is the economy improving? 

Francisco Studios is located on the southernmost border of San Francisco, hardly a hub of activity so we  had less than 100 visitors.  We didn't have much foot traffic but we certainly had quality people.

Comments

Cydney Hill said…
Well, I left another message but it wouldn't accept my stupid password. Let's see if THIS one gets through to you.

Popular Posts