Feeling Grumpy...then Courageous

I've been spending a great deal of time in the studio and for the first time in a long time, I can't wait to get there to work.  I always show up to the studio no matter what and I always paint when I am there.  But yesterday, I was feeling grumpy for several reasons.  One, because I was running out of medium and had to make the trip to Downtown SF to get more. Two, I've been in pain since my knee operation Aug 28th. and haven't been able to enjoy my dance classes.  And three, I've been wondering about my new "Iceland series".
Then, I received an email from a long time friend from my SF Art Institute days.  After reading his words, I felt energized and went to buy more medium.  It is amazing how words can change the situation.  Suddenly, I felt courageous.

Regarding your new paintings:  remember that the moment that you start painting for others or to be accepted or to be liked or successful, that moment, you lost, as a painter.  I have never, ever taken that into consideration and I have never known you to so, you keep exploring your work and you keep enjoying the process.  You participate in Open Studios because you are a professional and as such, you ONLY show what you want to show.  By now I am sure that you have developed a gut feeling towards your work and if this new work gives you the gut feeling that something is JUST NOT QUITE SUCCESSFUL and the moment that you feel unsettled, listen to your gut and do not show it. To feel unsettled may not be the right word because in a way, we always feel unsettled about our work, that tension that we feel right before we show a finished commission to the patron is quite normal. However, when your gut feeling tells you this work is not successful, work in ways to resolve the challenge and try to bring the painting to your side.  However, if you cannot succeed, don't finish it, get rid of it, start all over again.  So, as far as OPEN STUDIO's don't worry about what they would or would not say, you do your thing.  If you do not think like this then number one, you will never be free, you will be working for somebody else and number two, you will never explore and grow - I hope that makes sense to you.   

These words can apply to many of  you artists out there.  Feel free to be inspired by them.
Thank you Antonio.

Comments

Popular Posts