Iceland inspiration

Since returning from Iceland, I've been working on trying to duplicate this feeling and image I had after a hike to a glacier, one wet afternoon.  I saw swirls of muted color on the windshield of our rental car and each swirl looked as if a whole universe resided in each.  The windshield had large droplets of water, arranged closely and each drop had multicolored swirls reflecting the colors in the distance.   I was captivated and for once, I did not use my camera to record this scene.  I wanted to make sure I used  my memory of the feeling  more than any visuals.
I began painting on postcards as a way to experiment with different media, colors, and layers.  The above was the first one I made and it was close.  But from then on, things went terribly astray with trying different media including acrylic and oil.  I regrouped and found my way again.  The example below is something somewhat close but not quite there.  Here, I had overlapping layers where the example above is just one layer.  


However, once I find what I have been searching for, will it be a good painting?

Comments

Popular Posts