Iceland Day 4

Black sand beaches and more waterfalls
Seljalandsfoss waterfall

  There is an accessible path taking one behind the waterfall.

And just a short walk from this Seljalandsfoss is yet another waterfall somewhat hidden from view.



One had to carefully maneuver around the opening to get close to the waterfall but so worth it.
As far as I could tell, there wasn't a name listed for this waterfall so I am calling it the "other Seljalandsfoss".

Then to Skogafoss
Skogafoss

A path took us up to the top of the waterfall.



To the black sand beach and the fascinating basalt columns of Kirkjugolf



I love the patterns...


moss growing on the beach

 We checked into our hotel, Fosshotel Skaftafell and the views were lovely.


The hotel seemed new and was still undergoing construction.  They have what looked like a complete skeleton of an animal in the parking lot- maybe a whale?  I think it deserved a better, more regal spot than this.

After dinner, we went out for a short drive since, it doesn't really get dark at this time of year.

The "church floor", another example of the basalt formation.
And, then another waterfall...

We ended our day at the bar trying the locally made spirits.  I am glad I tried it but I never need to drink this again!

Mick and Katherine at Seljalandsfoss





Comments

Popular Posts