Iceland Day 1

 We arrived at Keflavik airport and were greeted by our driver holding up a sign with my name on it.  It was the single most exciting airport experience I've ever had.  He drove us to Reykjvik (note: I won't be using the Icelandic alphabet but may try to use phonetic spellings) which was about a 50 minute ride.  Because we had the whole day to explore, we walked around the main street which is surprisingly very small and is somewhat bigger than my neighborhood shops of Noe Valley.
We took a walking tour with a local guide.

 One sees brightly colored roofs.

 The Cathedral - modern and clean which had the most amazing art exhibit.
The work was entirely appropriate for a religious venue - serene and calm.  I couldn't find her website but I think you can make out her name in these images.


There is much lore surrounding elves and trolls - this rock is apparently a troll rock.

Tomorrow, our journey around Iceland begins.  I wanted to come here because of the stark landscapes and  to experience the 24 hours of light.  Will it inspire my work?

Comments

Popular Posts