A difficult portrait

I've been pretty busy working on a rather difficult portrait - it has been difficult because I don't have control over the source material, that is, the photos.  I usually take 30-40 photos of the subject to get details like lighting and shadows and which pose is most flattering.  In this case, my first commissioned portrait, I received 3 "corporate" photos which are uninteresting and without details.  It has been challenging to say the least in part because I want to add the correct shadows on the subject which requires 3D imagination.  I took a photo of myself with the lighting and matching pose but the subject has prominent cheeks which would look quite different from my shadows and highlights.  Still, it has been a great learning experience.  I sent the almost completed image to the client and hopefully, I will have met expectations.  I also sent a couple of cartoon-y images that I created to warm up.  I will post the images when I get permission from the client to do so.

 In the meantime, I had to mix up a new batch of my cold wax medium, one with bleached beeswax and the other with natural beeswax.  Also, I had to make up more starch glue for cleaning up the backs of postcard paintings.

my current cold wax recipe is simple:
1 part beeswax
4-5 parts Gamsol
Melt the beeswax in a jar (I am using kimchee jars) in a boiling water bath, with the lid on.
Once melted, add Gamsol, reheat in the boiling water bath until clear.  Remove and cool till hardened.
The consistency should be like butter on a warm day.  I add pigments to the wax, mix thoroughly, and store in aluminum foil.  I make up about 2 tablespoons of paint at a time.

Comments

Popular Posts