San Jose Museum of Art

I received a gift membership to the San Jose Museum of Art at an auction that was in aid of the Red Cross and Superstorm Sandy.  I have been to this museum several times over the years because they mount some interesting shows such as the work of Duane Hanson (2001), German conceptual artist Joseph Beuys (2000), local photographer Bill Owens (2000), Richard Diebenkorn (2008), Bay Area painter Nathan Oliveira (2002), and several group shows.  As I scrolled through the listing of past shows, I can't believe I missed seeing the work of Brice Marden,  Frank Lobdell, and Sandow Birk.
Duane Hanson

Joseph Beuys

Now, I must make my way south to see two shows there:" Eric Fischl and the Process of Painting" (through May 12, 2013) and "Local Color" (through January 13, 2013) - I am getting goosebumps just thinking about these two shows.  Painters love to hear how other painters work especially by artists whom we admire.  "Local Color" draws work from it's permanent collection and I will see anything that emphasizes the importance of color.
"Scenes from Late Paradise: Stupidity"  by Eric Fischl








"Two Women" by Elmer Bischoff


Comments

Popular Posts