Jasper Johns at SFMOMA

Seeing with the Mind's Eye -  Jasper Johns at SFMOMA
"Highway"

I had a quick look at the Johns' show which was all I could manage after the DeFeo show but it was too enticing not to.  I will no doubt visit this again, perhaps starting with  Johns and then back to DeFeo.   Here are a few favorites:
"White Numbers"  1959

This had the look I love - a color field with interesting textures, and density.  Many artists have copied this look with text but no one has done it with the same panache as Johns.  

"Lands End" 1963

These two paintings, similar in theme, both beautiful.

"Periscope"  1963
When I look up images of Jasper Johns work, I am amazed at how prolific he was.  He as Cezanne did with Mount St. Victoire, took a subject and did many variations of it.  


Shrinky Dink 4"
And from his Shrinky Dink series - engaging graphics using silhouetted figures and patterns.  Was he influenced by Aboriginal art as seen in his crosshatch patterns?  I suppose I need to read up or get the audio that goes with this exhibition which I am told is quite good.

"Bridge"  1997
I enjoyed this funny and bizarre painting  and I marvel at his treatment of the negative space.  He put much attention to this area which I found compelling and beautiful.  This is part of his bridge and catenary work.  A catenary is a curve that occurs when a length of string, chain or cable of consistent density is hung.  A review by Michael Kimmelman about this body of work is here.  This work was exhibited in 2005 meaning that he was still making new work in his late 60's (born May 15, 1930).  Is he still making art today?  A NY Times article published in 2008 looks at the artist at age 77.

Jasper Johns age 29



Comments

Popular Posts