Dutch Paintings from the Mauritshuis at the de Young

 Girl with the Pearl Earring (c. 1665) by Johannes Vermeer 
The de Young Museum of San Francisco will be the first venue in the American tour of paintings from the Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis, The Hague.  I've been to the Mauritshuis in The Hague and it was a treat to see this painting, "The Girl With the Pearl Earring".  I have read the book by Tracy Chevalier (i enjoyed it) and I've seen the movie with Scarlett Johannson and Colin Firth (it was ok).  Now, I am looking forward to seeing this painting again.  I think the de Young is expecting this to be a blockbuster show since they will be selling timed tickets this month for the show which begins January 26, 2013.  There will be a member preview on Jan 24 and 25 which I plan on attending.

The Mauritshuis is a fantastic museum.  I think we are very lucky that "Girl with the Pearl Earring" is being loaned out but I am hoping that "The Bull" by Paulus Potter and the Rembrandt self portrait is also part of the show.  But, I may be asking a little too much.


Mauritshaui, The Hague, Netherlands



"The Bull" is a very large painting and there is something very sweet about it.
The Bull by Paulus Potter

And, I never get tired of gazing at a Rembrandt, especially a self portrait.
Self Portrait by Rembrandt van Rijn, 1669

Comments

Popular Posts