continued Art Institute of Chicago Dawoud Bey "Harlem, USA"

Another great show at the Art Institute of Chicago was "Harlem, USA" by Dawoud Bey.  Photographing Harlem since 1975, Bey captured a different time, but within my own life time so I am able to step into his photographs like familiar surroundings.   I love photojournalism because it is not only a historical document but an essay about the people.  At least, when i see Bey's work, i care about what i am looking at.  Often times, I don't care to see yet another pretty face, or staged photograph, or an egocentric topic. Whenever I see work like this, taken of another time, i feel like i am in a time machine, able to feel, hear and smell what was going on.  I also love black and white photographs (silver gelatin) much like how i love charcoal drawings.

A Young Boy from the Marching Band


The show continues through September 9, 2012.

Two Boys Passing





Comments

Popular Posts