Art Institute of Chicago

The Creation of Adam by Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione  1642
I caught the last day of "Capturing the Sublime" at the Art Institute of Chicago: Italian Drawings of the Renaissance and  Baroque.  Since I've never been to Chicago during the summer, I was surprised to see a long line to the museum - I've never had to wait ever!  This monotype reminded me that I need to play with wax resist drawing again.



Christ in Limbo by Franecso Montelatici



This drawing makes me want to take figure drawing again.










Adoration of the Magi by Carlo Alberto Baratta













Beautiful use of white gouache.








I had a difficult time finding the images on the web of all the wonderful drawings from this show that i made a note of.  There was "Study for Saint Michael Archangel and Fall of the Rebel Angels" by Francisco Montelatici which had great energy.  A small "wow" piece by Salvator Rosa called "A Man Lying on His Back on a Stone, His Arms Crossed on His Chest" really made an impact.  There was a stunning portrait by Domenico Maria Canuti called "Head of Bearded Man".  Two delicate pastels by Federico Barocci where the skin tone was very lightly applied.  In "The Deposition" 1530 by Caravaggio, you can see why he was the master - his rendering of the figures was amazing.  And then, there was the lovely profile in "Head of a Bearded Man in Profile, Looking Up" by Agnolo di Cosimo that was inspiring.  I guess I might have to purchase the catalog.



Comments

Popular Posts