Art Institute of Chicago continued

A stroll through the Weston Wing of Japanese art yielded a couple of contemporary surprises.  I thought museums kept the modern stuff away from the ancient work (i am talking about the Asian Art Museum in SF)- it worked well in the space.

"Volcanic Path" by Azecchi Umetaro
 I love the simplicity of this woodblock print.  It reminds me of the time i wanted to abstract the shapes found in the Japanese stew called "oden".  I never liked it as a child and still am not too keen on it but i love the shapes of the food.  I love it when art reminds me of something completely off topic.
Oden







"Cat Making Up" by Inagaki Tomoo










A cat grooming - very clever!












I fell in love with haniwas when i first saw them at the Asian Art Museum in SF. They are earthenware from the 5th and 7th century. 




I spent a lot of time in this gallery.  For one thing, it was very quiet and away from the throngs.  But, i also liked hanging out with the haniwas.



















Comments

Popular Posts