Cleveland Museum of Art - Permanent Collection highlights


Death of a Pale Horse or the Race Track
by Albert Pinkham Ryder
While the "Rembrandt in America" was the focus of my visit to Cleveland (see previous post), I had to check out the Cleveland Art Museum's permanent collection.  I was already pretty exhausted from Rembrandt so I focused on the modern art collection.  There were several iconic pieces and some surprises as well.

This blurry image of "Death of a Pale Horse" does nothing to suggest that this is a great painting.  It has an amazing mood which is obvious from this image but one doesn't see all the texture and paints effects.  Such a pleasure to see it in person.


 Any chance i have to see a Thomas Eakins piece, I will spend some time with it.  Eakins was influential to the work of Henry Ossawa Tanner, whose show I will write about in a future post.

The Biglin Brothers
by Thomas Eakins

A new discovery, the work of Emil Carlsen.  I loved the quality of the paint.  It was dry and matte with great tree details.  The colors worked together like a color field.
Wood Interior
by Emil Carlsen




Head of Christ
by Georges Roualt
I remember seeing this in my Western Art History class and loving the stained glass quality of the painting.

Woman with a Cape 1901
by Pablo Picasso
La Vie 1903
by Pablo Picasso

Two Picassos - One expected from his Blue Period and the other, a cheerful, early piece.


Window of Unknowing
by Richard Pousette-Dart
One doesn't often see a Pousette-Dart in museums which is a shame - I think his work is beautiful.  He adds many layers of paint which create this amazing texture but also complex colors.  This was a treat to see.










Comments

Popular Posts