Kinkade Dies at 54


Much has been said about Thomas Kinkade and around these parts, none of it complimentary.  I cannot fault him for making the kinds of paintings that he made - an idyllic scene, often with Christian symbols or messages and always with his characteristic "light".  I did not like his commodification of art and the fact that one in twenty Americans own some sort of Kinkade (paintings, coffee mugs etc...) indicates to me that we need more art education.  Did his "collectors" purchase other paintings to enhance their collection or was it the one piece that hung above the mantle?  I understand that there are people who buy art as an investment and perhaps, they may even like looking at the piece.  Time will tell whether a Kinkade will appreciate in value, although currently, there is a rush to buy his work.  I can't imagine that i will travel to see his retrospective in a few decades.  To be sure, he knew how to handle a brush and manipulate paint.  But there is much more to a painting than that.   Conceptually, he wasn't very interesting to me but I recognize that his work spoke to people.  Which brings me to my original point, that our arts education is lacking in this country.The more art you look at and think about, the more you will broaden your tastes.  As a society, we can converse on the latest TV show or movie but when it comes to art, we lack the background and interest.

When i buy a painting, drawing, photograph or print, it is important for me to see the hand of the artist.    It is important for me to know that the artist really explored the oeurve and when I see the body of work, I want to see mastery of the subject.  I am not interested in a mass produced object, we have enough of that when it comes to clothes or food.   Kinkade's work was mass produced and while he did create a consistent body of work, it would have been interesting to see him explore his faith and his idyllic world further.  I wonder if his work which became more about manufacturing than about creativity, sent him to an early grave.

Comments

Popular Posts