Mark Bradford at SFMOMA

Enter and Exit the New Negro


It doesn't happen very often when I go to an exhibition that so inspires me that i feel an urgency to get back to the studio to work on my own pieces.   I know immediately that I will need to visit this exhibition at least one more time before it ends. It is not about copying what the artist is doing - it is more about the sense of the intensity, thought, hard work,  and sacrifice that went into the pieces that were created.  I am talking about the current exhibition at SFMOMA of the work of Mark Bradford, on now through June 17, 2012. (SF Chronicle's Kenneth Baker's article found here.) His work is complex and requires much time to think about but what is always the most important thing for me is that the pieces be successful visually without knowing any backstory.  Bradford's pieces were sublime and immediately stimulated my imagination.

Burn Baby Burn
Strawberry
Monster
Mississippi Gottdam
PAL
I try not to read much about a show and I generally don't like to read any of the exhibition explanations before i look at the pieces so that I can interact with each piece without any influence.  I want it to be a purely visually experience.
Bread and Circuses





When I finally get to reading the exhibition text, and if i can understand it, it enhances the experience.




























He is represented by Sikkema Jenkins Co. in  NYC.

Comments

Popular Posts