Edwige Fouvray at Dolby Chadwick

After visiting SFMOMA to see the Mark Bradford exhibition last Friday, I had some spare time before visiting my orthopedic surgeon regarding a torn mensicus.  Mark Bradford's work affected me in such a way that I felt tender and somehow, pure and I didn't want to see art that would alter that feeling.  I chose to visit Dolby Chadwick after seeing an image of the work of artist Edwige Fouvray in the SF Chronicle and I wasn't disappointed.

 The paintings remind me of the aspects I love most about drawing and they are the beauty of the line and the smudges that inherently occur during the process. Her paintings have that and subtle colors.
 The work looks interesting from the distance as well as up close.  I had the brochure and noticed that the reproduction of this paintings looked pretty good but it was nothing compared to the real thing.  Which is why looking at paintings or drawings on a computer screen is worthless when it comes to wonderfully complex works of art.
 Dolby Chadwick is one of my favorite galleries - they do a great job of displaying paintings and they show some of my favorite artists.

Show runs through April 28, 2012.

Comments

Popular Posts