Jean Paul Gaultier at the deYoung Musuem

I was waiting on the 'rocks" outside of the deYoung Museum, enjoying the brief respite between the showers when i took this photo.  My reason for being there?  To see the Jean Paul Gaultier show of course!  As a member, i was able to get in on the preview which was well attended.




It was wild seeing the mannequins looking around, talking, making eye contact - a very splashy way to start the exhibition.  But I was there to see the clothes and they looked great in a fantastical sort of way.




For me as a student dressmaker, there weren't too many take home messages for me as I had when i saw the Balenciaga show.  However, I could envision a dress with feathers on the neckline and/or hem.  I imagine soft and flirty movements when a dress like this is worn.


A classic cheongsam ,looking a little macabre, Gaultier style.


This dress caused a brief stir when it was thought that the garment was made out of actual leopard fur.  It was pointed out that the "fur" was actually hundreds if not thousands of beads made to look like fur.  It was an amazing piece.
The other amazing thing about this exhibit was that photography was allowed as long as a flash wasn't used.  That was a first for me.  I am guessing that social media is a great way to advertise although this show really doesn't need help in that department.
The show is on through August 19, 2012.

Comments

Popular Posts