My Madonna

I asked a friend to pose for me so i could get back to doing portraits.  I wanted to do a Biblically themed group of paintings, not because i am religious (i am not) but i wanted to romanticize the days when painters were considered to be important contributors to society.  They were commissioned handsomely to do Biblical scenes and while i have read that some were devoted spiritually to the cause, others did it because it was a great paying gig.  When i look at icons, i believe that those painters had faith and love for their subject.  In my case, i have faith and love for my subjects as the real people.  They are complex, beautiful, and are a part of my life.  I am not sure if the portrait is finished - it needs an incubation process of a few days before i can declare done.  Although a few more layers of color wouldn't hurt, one must be careful not to overwork the piece.

Comments

Popular Posts