Open Studios - Over for the Year

It seemed to go by so fast but my Open Studios is now over for the year. This past weekend, I opened my studio to anyone interested in seeing my art, me, and the studio. There was very little foot traffic as expected as we are located in the nether regions of San Francisco. I like to think of it as a secluded refuge from the hurley burly of city life although we are only 15 minutes from downtown SF via BART. There was a steady stream of people evenly spaced out allowing me to spend time talking to them. I have been in a show that had 50,000 people attending and only sold one small painting. This weekend, with numbers probably under 75, i sold 5 paintings, mostly to people who either collect my work or came across my work at the ArtSpan exhibition at SOMarts. Evidently, numbers of visitors doesn't necessarily mean greater sales. I was ready to process credit card sales but people either paid by check or cash.

The most interesting feedback i got was the attention one particular painting got during the show, although it didn't sell. People seemed to be entranced by the color. It is one of my favorite paintings, but don't tell that to the other paintings.
We were honored by a visit by the ArtSpan Executive Director, Heather Holt Villyard and John Melvin, Chairman of the Board. They wanted to visit studios "not on the radar" and spoke about some of the ideas that might help artists that are located away from the mainstream art locations. Nice to get a little attention!

Comments

Storm1 said…
very nice! Congrats on the visitor from the executive director and the sales!

Popular Posts