My Time with ARTnews


When i finally get around to opening my ARTnews, i make sure i have my cup of tea, a snack and a comfy chair all ready for uninterrupted reading. The September issue has advertisements of artists i don't know anything about but whose work i find captivating. Take the work of Eric Aho showing at DC Moore Gallery in New York. I looked up his work and found that his new work from his "Covert" series to be much more engaging for me because of its abstraction. His previous work shows recognizable objects which are beautifully painted but i prefer to get lost in the painting, make my own narrative or just go completely mentally blank, soaking in the colors, shapes, depth.














Bill Scott now showing at Hollis Taggart Galleries in New York City paints what i think are cheerful paintings. I do not think that "cheerful" is a dirty word and i hope he is not horrified by that description. I also find them to have a rhythm, almost a sound to them. I have always been drawn to the simplicity of shapes and lines although there is nothing simple about these paintings.











































Eventhough striped paintings have been around for a while, I don't seem to get tired of looking at them. Although i did get tired trying to locate an image of Cornelia Thomsen's striped painting. It didn't appear immediately from a Google search but in any event, i love the colors she used: purples, periwinkles, grays, ultramarine blue, cobalt blue, prussian blue, gray green. Showing now at Erik Thomsen Fine Art in NYC.








I love the Cleve Gray image in the magazine although i couldn't find it on the website. I picked 3 but there were many more that were stunning. Showing now at Morrison Gallery.












While the Internet is a wonderful tool, it cannot (yet) really capture the essence of a painting. The colors in real life will be different, the light in which the painting sits will affect it, and one isn't able to stand up close to appreciate brush work, paint, color interactions.
That was my first pass at looking at the magazine. Now i will find time to read the articles with my cup of tea and snack, in my comfy chair.

Comments

KINGRPG said…
The art on the walls that great.

Popular Posts