Year End Summany of 2010

I meant to do the year end summary at the end of last year but i was distracted with holiday partying and entertaining. Today, i present my summary of all the art competitions i applied to in 2010.
I applied to fewer shows and to no residencies in 2010 than the previous year. Not only are they a lot of work to apply to, i didn't feel like going anywhere to paint. I had things i wanted to work on in my studio and didn't need to work elsewhere. The following are the shows i applied to and the results.

*Root Division's Taste 2010 - work was not accepted. I am going to stop applying to any of their shows. I get it...they don't like my work. When i was looking to rent a studio, i applied for space there and was rejected. Thankfully, i found a great space with fantastic light at Francisco Studios.
*Arts Council of San Leandro - no response and the check wasn't even cashed. When i followed up with whether my application was received, again, no response. Conclusion - not well managed/organized.
*City College Forum Magazine - accepted 2 images for their publication. They were very nice and easy to work with.
*San Francisco City Hall - two paintings from the "Trees Posing" series were displayed in Supervisor John Avalos' office. Very nice reception and i liked where my paintings were hanging. Organized by Matt McKinley of McKinley Art Solutions. Always great to work with him.
*Blue Planet - accepted my rocking chair for a show at SOMarts. Very nicely organized show.
*Laguna Honda Hospital purchase awards - work not accepted. The process was at least somewhat painless by applying through CaFE.
*New American Paintings - rejected for the third time. I will keep applying. Deadline for Pacific Coast states is June 30th.
*Berkeley Art Center - rejected but i love the Berkeley Art Center. They have great lectures and events and the organizers are really nice.
*JWAN Sanctuary Show - rejected - i thought i had a great chance at this one.
*BayVAN - work accepted but i am not sure how this affiliation will help. And, i wonder if everyone who applies is accepted.
*SFMOMA rental gallery - haven't heard yet. I only just applied at the end of November and if it is like the last two years, i won't hear for 6 months. I wonder if i will get the usual cold, undated rejection letter.

And then, a great show that is running currently that fell into my lap is the one at Nova Bar and Restaurant where 4 of my paintings from the "Trees Posing" series are hanging. Again, thanks to Matt McKinley for this opportunity which he organized.
2010 was a great year for shows, a great year for painting and a pretty good year for sales.

Comments

Popular Posts