Open Studio Weekend 1


Every year i have to make some tough decisions as to which open studio i am going to visit. Not only do i visit my friends or friends of friends to give my support but i try to see the art that looks the most intriguing and captivating to me. It is very hard to tell from the little image in the Open Studios guide - even though it is a beautiful publication in full color, it is difficult to see any details...hence the need to see pieces in person. My Saturday was busy with yet another dance performance so Sunday was my art day. My first stop was 1890 Bryant where i find the practical (pottery, cupcake bakery) and the sublime. I poked my head in to say "hello" to one of my drawing teachers from my City College of San Francisco days , Diane Olivier. Her landscapes were done in pastels and there is something very seductive about that material.


Then i came across a woman painting in her studio so i stopped in since the process looked very interesting. Annie Arrasmith uses old textile stamps to create a mark in acrylic inks. She continues laying using these stamps and varying the inks and in the end she creates a deeply pigmented, textured piece. It was lovely to watch her work and i thought rather generous on her part. She is divulging her technique and showing us all her process. I liked the fact that she was working instead of waiting for visitors and looking awkward which is how i must look during my open studios. I will rethink how i set up my space because i like the idea of working during that time. It not only allows non painters to see process, but it might engage them to ask questions. A link to Annie's blog can be found here.





Textile stamps









And as luck would have it, in the very same space was another artist whose work was sublime. Margo Majewska's open, airy space was perfect for showing her lovely works on paper. I am attracted to ink on paper work because i adore clean lines. Her work caught the attention of fashion designer Chavier Caamano who commissioned Margo to create a bolt of fabric.
That work is now part of the 2011 collection.




















I left after quickly scanning the work in other studios to go to Project Artaud to visit a friend. I have been very unimpressed with the work coming out of this building which i assume is due to a couple of factors. Most people have full time jobs and can't devote too much attention to making art or they aren't really engaged in art anymore but they thought they would show some of their old stuff. So my visit was quick - just to see the cowboy paintings and cardboard still life of Robt Burg. Sorry no images - battery died!

Comments

Popular Posts