Work of Art


I didn't think i would enjoy watching "Work of Art", Bravo TV's new reality show featuring artists but i am finding it to be enjoyable, fascinating and educational. I've seen the first two episodes and my initial impressions are 1.) i liked the OCD guy's piece and i think he deserved to win. 2.) I also liked the portrait done of him by Nao Bustamante which was one of the least favorite of the judges. The fact that she captured his OCDness by tracking his movement was creative and the final piece was interesting. The bias appears to be towards realism which resulted in the one abstract painter being booted off. I didn't think she created an interesting painting and her concept and approach seemed weak nevertheless, i was disappointed to see her go. The show seems to be selecting for a certain kind of artist: one who can do many different things and can think quickly. Those qualities are great but that does not mean that all art should be made this way. I was surprised that the OCD guy won the second challenge where i thought the concept was great but the execution wasn't all that interesting. The most interesting part was him sleeping in this "uncomfortable" piece and the judges ate it up. I liked the piece but i prefered Abdi's piece because the execution was amazing and i like the whimsical nature of it. I was surprised to see Trong go because the other two artists had weaker concepts and executions. So far, no drama which i hope continues.

Comments

Popular Posts