Year End Summary

A summary of all the shows, residencies, grants, publications I've applied to in 2009. Total number of applications, submissions = 23
In order of type of submission

Publications: material sent to Forum Magazine, All Rights Reserved Literary Journal. Never heard from either although i found that one of my images was used in a BlazeVox eBook, without my permission. (see July 7, 2009 posting) I was thrilled but inquired about how all this came about. Everything turned out fine.
Four slides were sent to New American Paintings (my second time) - the work was not selected.

Galleries: i responded to Craigslist postings from Seven Salon and Gallery in Oakland, and a "new Mountain View gallery". Images were sent, no response from either. I sent in 10 slides of my current work to the SFMOMA Rental Gallery (my second time) and received a very curt and undated "no thanks" letter.

Public spaces: I responded to a Craigslist posting for showing work in the South Bay. In this case, i worked with an art consultant who has regular shows at the Bank of America in Sunnyvale. See January 31, 2009 posting or March 30th posting for the gory details.
Another Craigslist posting was for the Hilton Hotel in Chinatown. Images were sent, heard nothing back.

Residencies: I don't know why i bother....
Museum of Northern Arizona Artist in Residency because i wanted to study the colors of the desert and it was close enough where i could drive and bring all my supplies. They sent a nice letter of rejection.
Kamiyama Artist in Residency - my second time and i applied again because they waive the application fee if you've applied before. I will probably apply again in 2010.

Juried Art Shows: My work was rejected by the following shows: CIIS Spirit in the Arts, Control Show, Phyllis Stein Gutter Show (see Sept 16, 2009 posting for details and how badly that was managed), Art in Storefronts, GRO Show, Selections 2010, San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau (applied 2 times, with one acceptance).
However, my work was accepted for the Eco Art Show at UC Berkeley, The Serenity Show at UCSF, A Moment's Peace show, the Inferno Project, and the San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Internship: Museum of Craft and Folk Art - no response

Grants: Artadia - i knew it was a super long shot but i sent in my work and received a nice rejection letter.

Other shows: Canvas Project (fun and the work was shown at the Atlanta International Airport), Enzi Hair (a lovely venue in the Castro district to show work), the Red Show at the Berkeley Art Center, and because the art gods were smiling on me, a solo show at the Lobby Gallery at 455 Market.

In summary, the only negative (besides getting rejected so many times!) was not receiving any response regarding the work submitted. A simple curt "no thank" is better than nothing and - it isn't professional.
The positives were working with Matt McKinley who organizes several shows in the SF Bay Area, Christopher Enzi of Enzi Hair, and Bonnie Earls-Solari, the curator and art consultant for 455 Market. I met some great people, met with my wonderful artist's group every 6 weeks, sold more art than the previous years, and got to paint almost everyday. I would say that it was a fantastic year!

Comments

Popular Posts