ArtSpan Gala

Last night, i volunteered at the ArtSpan Preview Gala held at SOMarts in San Francisco. My job was to sell the art of participating members of ArtSpan. The work is hanging in the gallery, organized by weekends. It started off slow as the VIP guests filtered in, sipping the champagne in their hand painted champagne flutes, munching on canapes, and looking at the art. The few in the know on how this works, quickly eyed the pieces they wanted and immediately found one of the sales associates to purchase them. I sold 5 pieces before some of the other sales associates sold one - i guess i was at the right place at the right time. The buyers knew what they wanted and i felt they were getting some really great bargains, hence their no nonsense attitude. A couple of the patrons bought multiple pieces which made us on quite friendly terms by the end of the evening.

I had fun although it was a long time to be on one's feet. I arrived at 5:30 and left at 10:00 and spent the whole time working the floor. I would occassionally glance in the direction of where my piece was hanging only to find, no one actually looking there. However, towards the end of the evening, one person sought me out and wanted to talk to me about my painting. She is a fan of minimalism and heaped kind words about my work. So, not only did i feel good about helping ArtSpan, i met someone who liked my work, which is always very nice.

Comments

Popular Posts