Not happy with Phyllis Stein Art

I was debating whether to post this but i decided to because it may help artists make a decision about dealing with the Phyllis Stein Art Gallery.
I entered a submission for a show titled "Gutter". I always try to be thoughtful about which contests to enter, weighing carefully my chances especially when there is an entry fee. The theme was "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars", a juried exhibition that was to be held from June 10 through July 3rd. My take on it was a feeling of hope which i had after the election of our new president and had a few paintings with that sense of lightness and joy. I thought i had a chance so i entered on April 27th. I entered two paintings, paid my $30, before the deadline of May 11th.
"January 20th"
















"The Future Looks Bright 4"




Then there was an email dated June 26th saying the there were problems with the "Gutter" submission database and for us to resend our submissions. The exhibition would now take place in September. So, i immediately resent my images. Their email was friendly, apologetic, and left an email address if we had any questions.
I didn't hear anything and assumed my paintings were not chosen but for my $30, i at least want to be told by them that my work was not accepted. So, I emailed them on Aug 10th asking what was happening. No reply so i emailed on Aug 25th. Again, no reply. So, i go to their website and find that the show is happening on September 11th to October 3rd.
OK, fine, they didn't accept my work but it would have been the courteous and professional thing to do to inform me in a simple email that my work was not accepted. Also, not responding to my request is also unprofessional, which leads me to wonder about a gallery like this one. Would they treat your work with respect? Would they pay you any commissions in a timely manner? I would question any dealings with them. This is the first time out of the many (paid) submissions that i didn't get some form of acknowledgement.

Comments

Popular Posts