MaestraPeace mural

I had a private tour of the progress with the names project, part of the world renoun MaestraPeace mural with development director of the Women's Building, Tatjana Loh. Now, my mom and grandmother's names are a part of the Women's Building and i feel good about supporting this organization and what it does for the community.
My grandmother's name, Asa Neda.
Sawako Neda Kodama, my mom who died in 2005.


There is still space if you want to honor a woman in your life or someone who has made an impact on you. I saw the partial list of the names, and Marion Anderson was one of them. I just saw at the Smithsonian, the fur coat she wore when she appeared in the free concert at the Lincoln Memorial after she was denied by the Daughters of the American Revolution to perform in their hall because of her race.
I wasn't able to embed this amazing YouTube video of her performance from 1939 (wow, isn't YouTube wonderful?!) but here is the link.

And, lovely sidewalk art, across from the Women's Building.

Comments

Popular Posts