Control Show

The Control Show at Somarts - through August 29
The reception was well attended. I like this venue for showing art because it can give pieces that need breathing room that space. And, i really like the concept of this show. Many piceces were done masterfully, some were engaging but many were what i would consider to be one-dimensional or predictable. In many of the pieces, if felt "ok, i get it, now what" and that's what i mean by the one dimensionality of the work. Word pieces are particularly tricky because it seems so rare that they can be done well. I have seen enough of the stream of consciousness babble or the formulaic approach in art school. I was surprised that being a woman oriented show, there wasn't more reference to the traditional arts such as sewing, weaving, quilting for example. But having said that, i enjoyed the show and hope it gets good feedback. There was a good amount of work and because of the charged subject, one needs time to absorb fully the work. As much as i would have liked to include the pieces i really enjoyed, i mention only one, below. When the show is too crowded for me, i have a difficult time absorbing the work. I need to return when it isn't packed. I should also mention, i applied to this show but was rejected, having received a nice personal note from the curator.





I decided to include this image because i thought it was an interesting piece and so different from the rest of the show. Titled "Controlling My Wars Controlling My Peaces" by Vered Shomron, without reading what it was about, it was visually interesting but then again, i am into work that is minimal in color. I am sorry i wasn't able to include the whole image - it was crowded in that little room where it was shown and couldn't get a full image.

Comments

Popular Posts